by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“I was certainly not the only one who was captivated by the tranquil pond in front of the Santa Barbara Mission during an early April stroll. The light and colors seemed just about right during the late afternoon’s ‘golden hour,’ and I found myself most intrigued by the serenity surrounding this historic California landmark.”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: The repeated shapes here are awesome, Yves, but it’s the colors that tell the story – the fall-like russet browns and deep greens creating a foundation for the explosion of spring in the two colorful flowers just opening. Excellent.
John’s comment: Perfect Easter colors. Thanks, Jill!
“Our annual 2017 club trip traveling up to Zermatt, Switzerland, home of the Matterhorn Mountain.”
– Debora Fore, Retired, LAPD
John’s comment: Spring often brings contrasts, and you’ve captured them – the extensive snowcapped mountains, and the greenery, too. Thanks, Debora!
“Spring in Yosemite from Artist’s Point. My son eating a PB&J in one of the most beautiful places on earth.”
– Jeremy Aldridge, Rec and Parks
John’s comment: Spectacular, Jeremy! How small we are in the world. Thanks for submitting.
“This was taken at Descanso Gardens – flowers in bloom.”
– Larklyn Watts, Retired, LAPD
John’s comment: An explosion of color and pattern – what photography was made for. Well done, Larklyn!
“@Rueben Ingold Parkway. We always pass by this park but never really get the chance to ‘stop and smell the roses.’ Finally, we went there. It was such a beauty! Kids are happy and just three miles away from home.”
– Christine Isidro, LAFD
John’s comment: Christine, I’m not sure which says ‘spring’ more – the flowers, or the exuberance of the youngster. That’s how I feel, too, when spring comes! Thanks for reminding me!
“Springtime at the Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve. Not this year, though — this was back in April 2019.
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: Wow, Carlos, amazing color just explodes from this image. Maybe it was 2019, but I need it now. Thanks!
Our April theme was pets. These were submitted too late for our deadline,
but we love them just the same!
“This is what I see when I get home from work every day. What she’s trying to say is, ‘Take me for a walk!’”
– Mike Aubin, DWP
– Debora Fore, Retired, LAPD
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.