by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
The Great Outdoors
“A day exploring the Dolomites in Italy. Watching the clouds appear and disappear like magic.”
– Kirsten Aceves, Rec and Parks
John’s comment:Whoa, Kirsten! (That was my actual first word when I saw your entry!) Your amazing photo really emphasizes the word “great” in our monthly theme – also majestic, humbling and beautiful. Thanks for submitting!
John’s comment: I’ve been up on Mt. Lee looking down at Hollywood a few times as part of our work producing Alive!, and I wish everyone could see it. Of course because of safety and security, they can’t (please don’t attempt this, people), so I’m glad you captured it. It’s not an easy shot at night, by the way. Well done.
“Appreciating nature at Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, with my husband and two kids. Spending memorable moments with my family after long hours on the front lines at the Echo Park protest and again when we get back for the Chauvin trial.”
– Officer III Analyn Vergara, LAPD
John’s comment: Indeed, nature can be a beautiful way to relax, just to get back into a rhythm that you can’t find in a big city. The lens choice here is outstanding – compressing and lengthening scope of the mountains. Thanks for submitting, and thanks for your service, keeping us safe and protecting the First Amendment.
The panorama trail at Yosemite, which Carlos’ daughter has been hiking since she was six. “She has now traveled to and visited more National Parks and National Monuments than I can keep track of!”
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: Carlos, in the many photos you submitted this month, you’ve chronicled your daughter’s awesome journey. I’ve chosen this one, because you can see the joy on her face in being in the great outdoors. This is a strong shot, of course, but sometimes photography is also about telling a story and picking the right moment. You did exactly that here. Fantastic, and thanks for letting us share it with your family.
With family in Ventura.
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment:Ahhhhh, so nice to be with family, and the sounds and breeze of the beach. The backlighting – turning the subjects into silhouettes – emphasizes the power of the outdoors. Well done, Yves.
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.