by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card!. ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
THEME: Red, White and Blue
“My favorite friend on the Fourth of July.”
– Dennis Eigel, Public Works/Sanitation
John’s comment: Hey Dennis, it looks like your dog is a little overwhelmed with the weight of the bowtie and hat … but I have to say it’s the hat that won me over. (And how long did your dog actually keep the hat on? Ha!) Anyway, with your favorite friend you found a good model. Thanks for submitting!
“The Wild Wild (Mild) West Cowboys in South Dakota. The real cowboys entertained us with their country music after we visited the famous Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: I can’t hear what this country band sounds like, but I’m sure the music is confident and toe-tapping. The flag here seems almost to be another member of the band. There are many kinds of American music all over the spectrum; America is all of them combined. But this sure is one. Thanks for capturing the feeling.
“If you’ve never experienced the ‘Wild West’ outside some artificial theme park environment, get your fix in Randsburg, just 170 miles northeast of LA. While the White House Saloon may look like a cheesy movie prop, it’s actually the real deal. It doesn’t get any more American than that!”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: Cheesy? No way! What I love about your photo is the way you framed it – you’ve made it a still life, almost portrait-like. If you had framed it to include the street and the sky like most normal photos would have, I wouldn’t have noticed half of the details here. Excellent new perspective!
“My dog, Cookie, wearing her red, white and blue bow tie.”
– Diana Felszeghy, Retired, LAPD
John’s comment: Diana, I’m not sure I have a lot of technical thoughts on your patriotic photo of Cookie – only that, with the way you’ve pushed Cookie’s face into the foreground, I want to reach out and pet her. That’s as real as it gets. Thanks for submitting!
Picture Perfect Contest Rules
Picture Perfect Contest Rules
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.