by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“My daughter was fascinated by this colorful light display on our walk around the neighborhood. This particular bush was illuminated in dazzling colors, and I had to bring down the saturation just to make the photo seem realistic.”
– Ike Dodson, State of California/Corrections
John’s comment: It’s amazing that you had to bring the saturation down, Ike! In the middle of this pandemic, your daughter and these intense colors are just the images I need to see. Thanks for submitting!
John’s comment: Another stunner from Washington State, Jill! Thanks for submitting.
“This was taken close to the Griffith Observatory. I noticed the lights in the tunnel weren’t on. I took a picture of it because it gave a creepy vibe. It actually came out pretty cool when the cyclist’s light came out of the picture.”
– Aileen Reveles, Rec and Parks
John’s comment: This is an otherworldly image, Aileen. The photo without the light would have been fine, but sometimes you push the button at the right time, and it makes it even better. Three cheers for surprises! Thanks for submitting … and be careful standing in the street!
“Another picture of my friend to you.”
– Virginia Wai Ching Lit, Retired, Public Works/Engineering
John’s comment: Virginia, you’ve captured the majesty and strength of this amazing creature. And you’ve gotten so close that I can see a herringbone pattern that I have never before noticed in a creature. You have a steady hand. Well done!
“Building a takeoff ramp on a descending driveway with stale snow leads to one certain result: Hard landing on ice. Her expression says it all before touchdown. Ouch. Get up. Repeat.”
– Dominique Daito, LAPD/Communications
John’s comment: They say it’s all in the timing. I’m not sure about that, Dominique – you had to set it up right. But just a moment either before or after this exposure just wouldn’t have been the same. I’m still holding my breath for her! Excellent.
“Orange sky. Waiting for the sunset at Cachuma Lake Recreation Area.”
– Christine Isidro, LAFD
John’s comment: I love the simplicity of this image, Christine. It looks almost Japanese in its tranquility (although I’m not an expert in Eastern art). I just know I could lie on this grass patch and watch the sun set, however long it took. Well done.
“United States Capitol, Symbol of Democracy. A meeting place of the Congress and the seat of Legislative Branch of the federal government. It is a place where the changing of guards of US leadership happens every 4 years.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: Corleto, I’m honoring this photo not only because it’s beautifully framed — just off center, as our democracy is never perfect and always a work in progress – but because of your timing, too. With all that’s happened, your photo made me pause and be thankful for all that we have.
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.