by John Hawkins, Association CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card!. ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
We received a ton of awesome photos this month. Incredible! If you didn’t win this month, check back again next month. Stay tuned!
“This past November I participated in the Great LA Walk. On the 240th birthday of the City of Angels we walked from San Gabriel to downtown LA, a trek of 12-plus miles. This photo was taken where the walk ended: at the historic Angels Flight.”
– Madeleine Flanagan, Airports
John’s comment: Madeleine, I’d be breathing too hard at the end of that trek to stand still enough to take this great photo! The angles, the structure, and the perfect balance of the funicular against the new tall tower on the left are all perfect. Thanks for submitting!
“This photo was taken on the way up to Mt. Baldy. I noticed how peaceful and beautiful the trees and water are.”
– Sharon Khaw, LADWP
“Geese are coming your way! They’re smart. Kinda.”
– Jill Weiszmann, Retired Club Member
John’s comment: I’ll be looking for them coming down from Washington State, Jill – from your part of the world. Thanks for this beautiful image of nature’s continual seasons.
“This was taken at the LAPD Ahmanson equestrian facility. This is the majestic American quarter horse, featuring our great Flag in the background.”
– Officer Roberto Morales, LAPD
John’s comment: Wow, Officer Roberto, I’ve stared at this photo for a few minutes now, and I’m still wondering – what is the horse thinking? He’s got something in his mind, for sure! Anyway, I love the placement of the horse and the flag (making a strong statement), and the fine detail of the fur is exquisite. Great shot!
“El Centro, California — my youngest daughter enjoying a Popsicle after her soccer game. Win or lose, popsicles make everything better!”
– Chantel Walker, California Dept. of Corrections
John’s comment: Welcome to the contest, Chantel! You’ve submitted a cool shot for your first entry. And you’re right – Popsicles make everything better! The starkness of the image really focuses my eye on the simple joys of childhood. Well done!
“This monarch photo is one of my favorites because of the color reflection of the flower on the underside of its wings.”
– John Nance, Retired, LADWP
John’s comment: Until you mentioned that, John, I honestly hadn’t noticed – that’s how full of color your micro-image is. (And that butterfly face!) Once again you prove you have a very steady hand. Thanks for submitting!
“What if I have two favorite pictures? ‘A Drive to Pismo Beach’ and ‘The Calm Before the Storm?’”
– Renee Ramirez, LAFD
John’s comment: One at a time, Renee! Heh heh. Seriously, I love the mood of this image – a palm tree, having done its shady work for the day; the clouds, blanketing the land to diffuse the remaining light; and the moon, casting its spell. It’s all well positioned. Thanks!
Picture Perfect Contest Rules
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.