by John Hawkins, Association CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card!. ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
“I took this picture of our boys at the L.A. Zoo Holiday Lights. This was the twinkle tunnel of lights, and the background of lights looks so amazing … like a green screen!”
– John Sousa, Airport Police
John’s comment: John, I’ve tried to take photos like this before, in a tunnel of lights, as you describe … and they never turn out this good. It’s all in your measured lighting, perfect for your sons but not overwhelming the delicate twinkles behind them. Excellent!
“Our little one telling Santa all her wishes for Christmas.”
– Rodney Gilbert, General Services
“Seeing Christmas decors reminds us of the coming holiday, the time to get together with your family, friends and workmates. Everybody feels happy during the holidays.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: I love this image, Corleto. The snow globes – all the same, all different – create a kaleidoscope of holiday cheer. Well imagined.
“Blessed to be back in person, celebrating the joy of the holidays’ Christmas tree lighting at Our Savior parish, USC, Dec. 5, 2021.”
– Christine Isidro, Building and Safety
John’s comment: The three distinct and strong layers (foreground, middle ground, background) … the boy on piggyback perfectly complementing the tallness of the tree … the playing with light and dark, and color … they all combine to create a holiday classic. Thanks for submitting, Christine!
“Home Holiday Sweet Home. Canyon Country, Calif.”
– Dennis Eigel, Retired, Public Works
John’s comment: Dennis, you chose a stable, confident and quiet angle and distance to capture this home decorated for the holidays. There’s a quiet confidence that balances out the inherent flashiness of the lights. Well shot.
“Our family enjoys the Fourth of July every year. Everyone stays outdoors and observes the fireworks up in the sky, Plus we celebrate grandmother’s birthday, which falls on the same date. Backyard movies, BBQ, music and games are all set up! Spinney sparkler optional …”
– Dominique Daito, LAPD
John’s comment: As usual, Dominique, you demonstrate your outstanding visual sense with this image. It seems to comment that the holiday spirit is all around us, and this young man is merely stepping into it. It’s a visual representative of what we all do during all the holiday again. Thanks for submitting!
Picture Perfect Contest Rules
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.