by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“The altar of the Holy Face of Jesus Christ at St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. The Holy Face of Jesus Christ symbolizes hope and salvation, especially this time of pandemic crisis.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: It’s perfect timing, Corleto, as we’re in the Easter season as I write this. There’s a lot of art in St. Patrick’s, and sometimes when that happens pieces are hard to find, or see. But by the way you’ve framed this, it comes together and holds its own nicely. Thanks!
John’s comment: Your change of angle gives this image a fresh feel, Dennis. The flattening out of the dimensions also creates more of an oval shape, forcing the energy and making it feel as if the missile were ready to thrust right at you. It’s poised and ready to go, even though it no longer is. Thanks!
“Jamaica was so fun! It was the first time we had ever been out of the country. We stayed at Sandals resort, and I recommend it for anyone! No kids allowed at Sandals resorts either, so it was good to leave the kids and grandkids behind. Coincidentally we are celebrating our 32nd anniversary today! Be safe!”
– Earl and Lynne Wright, Retired, Airport Police
John’s comment: We all take these photos, Lynne, having a relaxing time on vacation … but it rarely looks like we’re having as good a time as we’re having. But this photo is the exception. I can feel the relaxation, the gentle fun and the enjoyment with each other. Wish I were there. Thanks for submitting!
“I took this picture a few weeks ago when I went fishing to Bishop, Calif. just before the stay-at-home order was issued. I can’t wait to go back.”
– Marco Sanchez, Harbor
John’s comment: The colors are amazing, Marco! We travel (or used to) to Bishop on Club business pretty often, but I’ve never seen them that vibrant. I know you shot this before the coronavirus crisis, but it feels like the atmosphere had already cleaned up a lot, as the experts are telling us. Anyway, nice shot!
“Rowing down the beautiful Tam Cóc River in Ninh Binh, Vietnam. The river takes you through the rice fields, limestone karsts and three natural caves.”
– Theresa Forand, DWP
John’s comment: Breathtaking, mystical and beautiful, Theresa. I love the feel and wide perspective of this shot. Thanks for submitting!
“This was a great isolation distraction. I shot this from my sundeck, and yes he was close to the trees and land. He was making a big turn. In the late 1970’s or early ’80s, hang-gliding was banned along the cliffs of San Pedro because too many gliders were crash-landing below the cliffs and getting killed. But who is going to stop him?”
– John Nance, Retired, DWP
John’s comment: I’m dreaming of a future that we all hope is not too far off — seeing people on the beach, hang gliders, families in parks … but meanwhile we stay at home because it’s the right thing to do. Thanks for the reminder, John – we’ll get through this!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.