by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“The Apotheosis of Washington in the eye of the US Capitol. It depicts George Washington rising to the heavens in glory surrounded by six figures, namely War, Science, Marine, Commerce, Mechanics and Agriculture.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: You’ve reminded us to look up! (And I’m not surprised that a Building and Safety employee would remind us there is more than the street level!) Anyway, this is a beautiful photo with the off-white dome framing the colorful mural perfectly. Thanks for the reminder!
John’s comment: Yves, I love my job, too … but! I’m calmed and chilled out just staring into the deep blue of your image of the Greek mainland across from Skaithos. It reminds me how much bluer and cleaner nature has gotten while we’re all Safer at Home. (Nice angle on this, too.)
“Pictured here is a cancer survivor and an inmate inside Folsom State Prison, ceremoniously walking the yard during a Relay for Life Fundraiser with the American Cancer Society. Fundraisers inside prison can help incarcerated people make amends.”
– Ike Dodson, CDCR, State of California
John’s comment: Ike, I can’t tell you how many ways I love this photo. Just on photographic terms, it’s one of the best portraits I’ve seen submitted for our monthly contest. But more than that, the self-respect of doing charity is really obvious here; how much better we would all be if we thought about others. The angle is strong, and the soft focus in the background leads you right back to his face. Awesome!
“Scene City — nighttime street photography on the Strip means no tripod for lighter load. So taking a two-second handheld shutter shot, on top of the pedestrian bridge, was a bit of a challenge. Mission accomplished after trial and error, but can you imagine (my expense) if we’re still shooting with film, instead of RAW?”
– Dominique Daito, LAPD
John’s comment: Dominique, I was reminded of this Vegas shot when I saw a different photo the other day of what the COVID-19 pandemic has done to the Las Vegas strip – it was completely empty of life. So I thought, there’s no better time to post this stunning photo — no better time for a reminder of what awaits us when we get through this crisis. Thanks for sending it in!
“Petra, Jordan is half-built, half-carved into the rock, and surrounded by mountains riddled with passages and gorges. It is one of the world’s most famous archaeological sites, where ancient Eastern traditions blend with Hellenistic architecture.”
– Alfredo Fajardo, Library
John’s comment: Alfredo, I know you sent this as part of your Alive! Around the World submission, but it’s good enough to call out in this month’s photo contest, too. I don’t know how you managed to capture the entire height – and the people on the ground – without distorting the angles. Awesome shot!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.