by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“I went hiking this fall through Wire Pass, a slot canyon located in the Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness Area of southern Utah and northern Arizona. This is one of many great images I was able to capture while on my hike through this trail!”
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: What a cool photo, Carlos! I love how the colors get warmer, and then hotter, the deeper the undulations of the rocks take your eye. It’s a great payoff for the careful visual journey you offer. Very well done!
John’s comment: I’m guessing because you’re great company, Yves … My family has a cat, but I have never gotten this close. Look at that detail! What a miracle the natural world is. Thanks for the reminder.
“Kids away from technology … enjoying and appreciating the beauty of nature.
@Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, Oct. 11, 2020.”
– Christine Isidro, LAFD
John’s comment: A mother teaching a child is as timeless as the rocks they are looking at. This juxtaposition is perfect, as one part of the image tells us a lot about the other. Well done!
“I was trying to catch the reflection of the buildings and clouds in the water. The water was so calm, I thought it created such a beautiful reflection.”
– Cherie Ivers, Harbor
John’s comment: And you are right, Cherie! I’ve been across that bridge, and its reflection in this photo evokes the centuries of its existence. Awesome angle, and cloud textures that frame the buildings top and bottom. Excellent!
“Our great granddaughter Ellyson. Costume jewelry, Play-Doh, the Itsy-Bitsy Spider and Baker’s Man being recited … it doesn’t get any better!”
– John Nance, Retired, DWP
John’s comment: I imagined Ellyson doing exactly that, John. With your capturing the moment, I don’t have to presume what she’s doing, I can hear it. That’s an evocative photo! Thanks for sending.
“On my way to work, and this is what the streets look like during COVID. It would normally be full of traffic and people.”
– Renee Ramirez, LAFD
John’s comment: Mood is often the hardest thing to capture with a photo, but this photo sure feels like I have felt during the pandemic, Renee. It’s so much more than the empty streets, it’s the clouds, the dark hour, the stories of windows dark in buildings meant to facilitate people working together. You really captured the mood of the pandemic, Renee!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.