by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“Maddox Martinez, Joshua Tree National Park, August 2020.”
– Joshua Martinez, Rec and Parks
John’s comment: Josh, I love this photo – the composition isn’t overloaded with contents. It’s just some smooth rocks, detailed textures, some very blue sky, and a very determined Maddox, who’s perfectly composed on the rule of thirds. Awesome!
John’s comment: Your choice of rendering this shot in black and white was absolutely right, Aaron. The shades of the old locomotive, with the graffiti and the UP logo give the engine some organic life on a giant piece of cold iron. And those two “eyes” staring right at me … great! Thanks for sending.
“This is a macro shot of a bee in my garden on a flower.”
– Ondrea Tye, Retired, Planning
John’s comment: You had to be awfully patient to wait for that bee to get in focus in front of your macro lens, Ondrea … and keep everything sharp. Thanks for submitting!
“Cactus Gardens at the Huntington Library in Pasadena.”
– Dennis Eigel, Retired, Public Works/Sanitation
John’s comment: Dennis, these cacti are on public display and probably have been photographed thousands, maybe tens of thousands of times. But you captured something unique and beautiful with the angle and perspective. Thanks!
“COVID family camping/fishing trip at Silverwood Lake, Calif. Look at how beautiful nature is and the kids enjoying a much-needed break outdoors.”
– Firefighter Ly Leng, LAFD
John’s comment: How true that is, Ly, a much-needed break. Your photo feels like exactly that – relaxed and beautiful. I hope you enjoyed your relaxing day; thanks for keeping us safe.
“One of the last sunsets of the summer from Menemsha, Mass., on Martha’s Vineyard.”
– Lt. Demian Wyma, LAPD
John’s comment: Wow, Lt., what a breathtakingly beautiful shot. I just want to jump right into this landscape, find a hammock, and take it all in. (And I love this part of the country, too.) Thanks for giving me a much-needed “ahhhhh” today!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.