by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, Utah. It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be!”
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: OMG! I still haven’t been here. It looks unreal – and having the person in the background really gives it perspective on how large it really is! Thanks, Carlos!ng!
John’s comment: Rose, I’m glad we’re publishing these photos on the Alive! Website, because I’m not sure the colors you’ve captured here would show up in print; that’s how subtle they are. I also love the contract between the cloudy soft pastels and the rough driftwood at the end of my eye path down below. Well done!
“This is the Royal Clipper, a five-mast sailing ship. We took a beautiful weeklong cruise in Italy. This shot was taken off of the Amalfi Coast in October 2019. In the background is Stromboli erupting.”
– Cherie Ivers, Harbor
John’s comment: Wow, what a stunner, Cherie. The subject is great, the angle is powerful … I can feel the wind and the waves. But what I really love about this photo is the time of day you shot it, the golden hour (probably late afternoon). The golden glow and rich mood double the feeling. Nice!
“If the picture doesn’t say it all, I found the following definition in an online dictionary. It explains everything Alive! readers need to know about my — and perhaps any other — female cat: di·va, a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please.”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: Yep, that word pretty much captures the attitude in this photo. I could mention that her fur matches the blanket color; that the angle and lighting … blah blah blah. Truth is, your photo just makes me laugh and nod, and that’s good enough for me.
Harvest season in Washington state.
– Jill Weiszmann, Retired
John’s comment: Jill, have you ever seen the movie Days of Heaven? It’s kind of obscure, I know, and slow; it’s not exactly a thriller! But it’s well known for its gorgeous grains, fields, and simplicity. That’s exactly what you have here — pure beauty of the earth. Time stands still to remind us that life is beautiful if we only notice. Thanks for submitting!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.