by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“It’s unreal to think — at about the same time I took this idyllic picture at Santa Barbara harbor, police cars were being torched in LA during the recent riots. How terribly sobering. Shortly thereafter, though, I shared this image with a friend whose only response was, ‘Yuppies.’ Actually, ‘Yuppies with Puppies’ would probably be more appropriate as this couple obviously didn’t want to leave their little schnauzer back at home. So he was simply wrapped in a life vest and happily came along for the paddle-board outing in the harbor.”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: Ah, this is living, Yves, California style. I love how the masts clutter (artfully) the upper half, but then, we my eyes moved lower to try to find calm, that’s exactly what you have. It’s a journey from too busy to just right. Great balance! Thanks for submitting.
“I took this picture during a field trip to San Francisco. I wanted to catch the man rowing his canoe.”
– Rose Serrato, Retired, LAPD
John’s comment: Catch him you did, Rose. This is magnificent. I don’t think I’ve seen another photo in this contest with these bronze-ish color scheme. California’s gold! And the canoeist is perfectly placed in the sunset’s shadow. Awesome!
“A co-worker of mine is a very talented crocheter, and she made a few Corona Viruses like one for us. I find my ’Rona (who I named ‘Greenie’) actually puts a smile on my face when I’m a bit weighed down with all that’s going on. As a 911 Dispatcher, I’m considered essential, so I’ve been working through the Safer at Home orders. Greenie sits on my candle and gives me a frown every time I come in the house, which always puts a smile on my face.”
– Steph Burkhart, LAPD
John’s comment: I love it! Steph, that is so cute … and it put a smile on my face, too. And it must be fun to have a crocheter on your team who gives gifts like that. Good to hear from you!
“Two ducks between the shadows of the palm trees at Echo Park.”
– Felice Chen, Rec and Parks
John’s comment: I love the design of this photo, with the sidewalk meandering into the distance, the graceful twin shadows slicing against the path, and then the ducks going their own way forward. The sidewalk leads your eye right up to them. Perfect! Thanks for submitting!
“The Navy [hospital] ship Mercy departing the Port of Los Angeles.”
– Cherie Ivers, Harbor
John’s comment: The starkness – minimalism – of this photo makes it feel almost like a mid-century abstract, except it has just as much meaning as form. The Mercy was here to help the City deal with the coronavirus pandemic. It did its job, nobly, and off it goes, quietly waiting for its next assignment. Excellent!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.