by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“Knight’s Landing at sunrise. In Dubrovnik, Croatia.”
– Michael Barnes, Retired, Harbor
John’s comment: Hey Michael, I know you submitted this for “Alive! Around the World” (see it next month), but this photo is magnificent. The lighting is superb, the framing keeps things in perspective … and it reminds me how much I loved visiting Dubrovnik. Well done!
John’s comment: I love this space, Corleto – it’s a subway and train station for the World Trade Center area, but it’s so much more: an amazing tribute to the spirit of the city rising from the ashes that were buried below after the 9/11 tragedy. Calatrava designed a beautiful building that, surprisingly, is not that easy to photograph well. You found a great, majestic angle that proves that the spirit of humanity just keeps rising, no matter what. Beautiful shot!
“If anybody ever questioned whether I am the life of any party, here’s your proof: At least for a nanosecond I felt very popular when I was these sheep’s center of attention in Northern California recently. Of course they may also have been under the impression that I was bringing food. But I’d rather want to believe that they thought of me as really amazing and cool.”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: This photo made me laugh the first second I saw it, Yves, and then your description made me laugh again. I love photos with random spacing and order in the composition that seem to settle down perfectly into balance. But it’s the face of the sheep in front looking full of expectation that makes it so dynamic and worthy of a second look … and a third, and so on. Thanks for submitting!
“Here’s a look at Half Dome and Yosemite Valley from the opposite direction it’s usually seen from. This picture was taken from atop Clouds Rest. That bird is soaring at about 5,000 feet above the valley floor and at about a 10,000 foot elevation!”
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: The contrasts make this photo really stand out, Carlos – solid rock vs. lighter-than-air movement, gravitation vs. freedom, complicated textures vs. simple grace, and on and on. It took my breath away. Thanks for submitting!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.