by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“When all the right elements came together – clear skies, heavy water flow, time of year, and moon phase – a ‘moonbow’ can be seen at Lower Yosemite Falls in Yosemite. I was able to capture this event in July. It happens only two or three times a year and can be witnessed in only a handful of places on earth!”
– Carlos Aranda, DWP
John’s comment: Carlos, I have to admit this is my first moonbow! It’s an awesome picture, Carlos; thank you as always.
“The famous Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: This really feels like the end of summer, and the beginning of fall – stately, quiet and very New England. Thanks, Corleto!
“It has been maybe 10 to 15 years since I have seen bumblebees. Maybe all the rain we had [has brought them out]. Maybe a good environmental sign?”
– John Nance, Retired, DWP
John’s comment: John, bees have been having a hard time of it lately. For whatever reason, one has come back for your photograph! Nature close-ups are never easy, but you seem to pull them off with delicacy and clarity. Nice shot!
“This shot was taken on the rolling plains just outside of Mammoth Lakes, Calif.”
– John Hicks, LAFD
John’s comment: I love this – sort of the past and future, where you’ve been and where you’re going — all in one natural shot! Really cool!
“This is a picture of the bridge from the HBO show, Big Little Lies” in Monterey, Calif.”
– Renee Ramirez, LAFD
John’s comment: Hey Renee, I was just reading about this bridge, and how many people are clogging up Highway 1 to snap a photo of it. But you, wisely, did not – you found some distance on it, to photograph it gracefully and with rich, brooding, almost silver-metallic colors. Beautiful shot. Thanks for sending!
“Sometimes, finding beauty does not require travel to faraway lands. It can actually be spotted right around the corner. Case in point is this aerial shot, flying along California’s State Route 126: With Lake Piru to the left, it’s hard to fathom that LA’s hustle and bustle are only a stone’s throw away to the right.”
– Yves Didier, Airport Police
John’s comment: Yves, it’s another awesome shot of freedom, lightness and perspective. We can get caught up in the messy details of life when we’re in the middle of them … but from up here, with a good eye for clouds and visual planes (top/bottom, foreground/background), you’ve captured a breathtaking sense of peace. Thanks!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.