by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“Here’s another incredible Cheney sunset from last night!”
– Jill Weiszmann, Retired
John’s comment: What an awesome sunset, Jill, up there in Cheney, Wash. This made me think about photography as really capturing a moment, because this exact coloring and framing would have been gone just a few minutes later. No other moment would be exactly like this one. I’m glad you captured it.
“A rare photographic treat — a bee and butterfly on the same flower. They met in the middle, and simultaneously one buzzed and the other fluttered off to different flowers.”
– John Nance, Retired, DWP
John’s comment: I wonder if they see each other! If they did, would they have scared each other off? But this probably happens a lot in their world, so I’m probably overstating … anyway, I love the spring colors of this, John. It reminds me that our bee population is in danger. Thanks for the colorful, close-up reminder!
“A couple of years ago while my wife, Lindsay, and I were passing though Eureka, Calif., we decided to stop at a roadside stand and grab a cup of coffee. While we were ordering at the drive-through window, someone ran up to us and said, ‘A kitten ran under your SUV; don’t move.’ Lindsay hopped out of the truck to see if the kitten were clear so that we could pull up and not hurt it. The little cat was nowhere to be found … or so we thought. While she investigated outside the SUV, Lindsay heard meowing from somewhere underneath, only to look up and see the small animal staring at her though the rear wheel. She was able to snap a photo of the would-be stowaway before he hopped out and safely ran off!”
– Photo by Lindsay Hill, wife of Bob Hill, Retired, DWP
John’s comment: Lindsay, I think you were rewarded with this amazing shot because you didn’t want to risk the cat’s life and took the time to look. The framing of the face is purr-fect between the wheel and the rotor. You couldn’t have lit the cat’s face any better if you had brought in studio lights. Now, I wonder what that cat is thinking as it looks at you. Anyway, well done!
“Portland Head Lighthouse, Cape Elizabeth, Maine.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: Hey Corleto, I can feel the ocean breeze on my face, and exhale as I imagine the peaceful end-of-summer atmosphere you captured here. Stoic, humble, simple, evocative … I love it. Thanks for this classic!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.