by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
“My plumeria. Don’t ask me why they seem to take on this iridescent color during sunset.”
– Mike Aubin, DWP
John’s comment: You’ve captured amazing color, Mike! Sometimes we think that big photos are more interesting, like the cool one Erik Depaz submitted this month. But microphotography can be just as interesting. We assume that objects don’t have this much detail. But they do, and you’ve proven that. Thanks for the reminder!
“I realize you don’t normally ‘do’ pet photos, but check out the attached. I’ve titled it ‘Glamour Cat.’”
– Yves Didier, LAPD
John’s comment: Yves, how did you know that our family recently adopted a cat? Of course you didn’t, but this captures a cat reality – when you see them, you know they’re around. But when you don’t, they still seem to be around. I can’t explain it better than you captured it. My family will love this photo.
“God’s amazing creation – a phenomenal Aurora Borealis, taken in the Arctic Circle near Fairbanks, Alaska.”
– Corleto Manuel, Building and Safety
John’s comment: Awesome photo! The greenish color is mesmerizing … but there’s more here, too. There are starts peaking through, and the subtle road gently leading my eye into the spectacular light curtain just finishes the drama. Thanks for submitting! (And this is now on my travel list.)
“I captured this majestic view from the very top of La Piedra del Penol (El Peñon de Guatapé, the Stone of El Penol) in Antioquia, Colombia. The gigantic rock extends about 650 feet to the very top, and it’s accessible only by climbing the series of stairs.”
– Erik Depaz, Airports
John’s comment: Wow, Erik, this is breathtaking. With the high clouds, I feel like I’m lighter than air, and floating above the town below. I feel relaxed just gazing at this and dissolving into it. Thanks!
“Calm Kings Canyon National Park.”
– Shaudi Pishvaie, LAPD
John’s comment: Shaudi, I love how you captured the spring scene in three planes – the foreground, with the rocks and riverbank … the middle, with the pines I can practically smell, and a brook I want to jump into … and then the majestic mountain in the deep background, giving me the distance. I need to get back to the Sequoias soon! Thanks for submitting.
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.