Alive! presents some of our favorite winners from ‘John’s Picture Perfect’ contest from last year.
Photos compiled by John Hawkins, Club CEO
A ‘Picture’ of 2022
During 2022, Club Member photographers and their photographic eyes found beauty in our world.
For the John’s Picture Perfect contest’s 10th anniversary in January 2015, we printed our favorite photos from contest’s entire span. Readers liked it so much that we decided to run an annual recap.
In 2022, Club Members submitted a large number of entries and dozens of winners. Here are some of them with their commentary.
Keep submitting your great photos, and keep looking with a grand sense of wonder to capture that Picture Perfect!
“At least look at me when I’m talking to me…” One in denial, while the other expression confesses a somber realization that we have to pack up that morning and go back home. Goodbye Vegas.”
– Dominique Daito, LAPD/Communications
John’s comment: A stunning classic double portrait, Dominique. One thing I noticed after looking at it for a while is how the mirror portrait in the window shows the left side of her face more completely, and it subtly changes the expression on her face. Brilliant shot, as usual.
“This was taken at the LAPD Ahmanson equestrian facility. This is the majestic American quarter horse, featuring our great Flag in the background.”
– Officer Roberto Morales, LAPD
John’s comment: Wow, Officer Roberto, I’ve stared at this photo for a few minutes now, and I’m still wondering – what is the horse thinking? He’s got something in his mind, for sure! Anyway, I love the placement of the horse and the flag (making a strong statement), and
the fine detail of the fur is exquisite. Great shot!
“Since telecommuting, I enjoy my new hobby, gardening. Occasionally,
beautiful butterflies stop by, visiting my little garden!”
– Constance Chang, Public Works/Sanitation and Environment
John’s comment: We’ve had many submissions using microphotography of butterflies and flowers, Constance, but this might be the best of all. Beautiful indeed!
“My adorable identical twin granddaughters, Devyn and Dakota. I know their
names, but I still can’t tell them apart, and they will be three next month!”
– Lisa Williams, Retired, Airports
John’s comment: I can’t tell them apart, either, Lisa! I love this photo – the tone is very warm, their expressions are gentle, and you came in close, to really emphasize their features. Awesome!
“Looking for some fall color in Yosemite was not as easy as I thought it would
be! This lone maple tree was all I could find! It made for a nice contrast
against all of the evergreens.”
– Carlos Aranda, LADWP
John’s comment: This is about as “fall” as it gets, Carlos. Rich and bursting, your photo reminds me of Earth’s majesty and beauty. Thanks for sending!
PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST