Alive! presents some of our favorite winners from ‘John’s Picture Perfect’ contest from 2018.
Photos compiled by John Hawkins, Club CEO
Do you like “John’s Picture Perfect” contest? Well, so do we!
For the contest’s 10th anniversary in January 2015, we printed our favorite photos from contest’s entire span. Readers liked it so much that we decided to run an annual recap.
In 2018, Club Members submitted hundreds of entries and many dozens of winners. Here are some of them.
As we begin 2019, we publish this look back at the images taken by Club Members who in 2018 pushed their shutters at exactly the right moment, along with the original comments by John Hawkins.
Enjoy, and keep sending in those images! (Go to the end of this story for information on submitting your photos.)
– Cecille Consebido, Public Works/Sanitation
John’s comment: Outstanding photo, Cecille! I think my favorite part is how the sun is just lighting up a portion of the building on the left, it gives it that early morning sleepy feel in a city that generally is bustling and chaotic. And of course how you were able to get the sun in all its glory without blowing out the exposure is quite an accomplishment. Thank you for sharing, Cecille!
– Harrison Sutherland, Public Works/Sanitation
John’s comment: Harrison, from the beginning of Alive!, we’ve featured some pretty cool pictures of Sanitation vehicles … but I’m jealous that I’ve never taken one as cool as this. I love how the palm trees line up to take your eye right into the truck, and the sense of moving forward is real. Another day, another City service on duty to help us lead our lives. Thanks!
– Firefighter/Paramedic John Hicks, LAFD
John’s comment: John, I love the impressionistic feel of this. Creating what a dawn on a lake feels like, not just what it looks like, is what impressionism is all about. Thanks!
“My daughter Sophie atop a camel out at the Living Desert Zoo in Palm Desert, waiting patiently for Sophie and camel to pass by. Once in position, I shouted, ‘Smile.’ I got more than I bargained for.”
– Mike Aubin, DWP
John’s comment: Whoa! Reminds me of that movie Doctor Doolittle, the guy who could talk to the animals. You requested, and it was answered! Fun photo with great timing. Thanks, Mike!
– Marlene Salandanan, Controller’s Office
John’s comment: Marlene, this may be my favorite photo in all the years of Picture Perfect. First, the composition couldn’t be more perfect: the sun, the fog and the position of the seagull … it’s just simply perfect. Secondly, I relate to the seagull from my Navy days on a submarine — all alone in the immense ocean, yet confident of its mission. I think I would like to make this my screensaver … it’s that good! Thank you, Marlene!
– Nino Lovato
John’s comment: Another word I’d use for this awesome photo is hope – in the next generation enjoying the land as much as we do … in being part of a loving family … and in the contentment of a day well spent, with the promise of another tomorrow. Beautiful!
PITURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST