by John Hawkins, Club CEO
How to enter:
Do you love to take pictures? Submit your photos to the Picture Perfect contest. Once a month, the best pics are selected for publication. If your photo is published, you’ll receive a $25 Amazon e-Gift Card! ENTER PICTURE PERFECT CONTEST
See Contest Rules below the pictures.
– Firefighter/Paramedic John Hicks, LAFD
John’s comment: John, I love the impressionistic feel of this. Creating what a dawn on a lake feels like, not just what it looks like, is what impressionism is all about. Thanks!
– Jill Weiszmann, Retired
John’s comment: Jill, your continuing series on Washington State returns one winner after another. The sky, set off by the pines, is truly bigger in the Pacific Northwest than anywhere else I’ve been … and you’ve captured that. Nice!
– William Zhang, DWP
John’s comment: William, this is one of the most graceful and elegant captures of the motion at Pacific Park in Santa Monica I’ve ever seen. Its simplicity and angle add up to gentle, endless summer fun. Thanks for the composition and the reminder!
– Dominique Daito, LAPD
John’s comment: And we will, too, Dominique! Your mastery of lighting continues to get even stronger … and I love how you know when to capture young people; it’s not always when you think it’s perfect. Between this and the horror movie moment you sent in previously, I really like the style I see developing. Excellent!
– Renee Ramirez, LAFD
John’s comment: Here at the Club, we like to say we love experiencing California life and work, together, and this photo of San Francisco with rocky shores, the Golden Gate Bridge, sailboats and hikers on the Cliffside trail shows that exactly. Nice job capturing all of it!
“Unfortunately, a home below us caught fire. The cause was possibly from a lightening strike earlier in the day. I took this at 3 a.m. I smelled smoke, but my husband, retired from the DWP, had checked our house the previous day. “The firefighters did a very impressive job. No one was home at the time.”
– Karin Luedke, Retired, Prescott, Ariz.
John’s comment: Incredibly dramatic, Karin … and I’m glad no one was hurt. During fire season, which seems to be all the time now, danger lurks close and all around, and you captured that. We are all so grateful for the Fire and Police who work hard to protect us and our property.
PITURE PERFECT CONTEST RULES:
- Please submit the full, original digital file (up to 3 megs file size).
- The contest is open to all Club members in good standing. Non-members are welcome to submit, but only Club members are eligible to win the monthly prize.
- Photos can be of any subject matter: vacation, portraits, families, landscapes, still lifes, pets, etc. Subject matter must be appropriate for Alive!
- If your photograph does not win, you are welcome to re-submit.
- Winners are chosen by Club staff. All decisions will be final.
- You must certify (if asked) that you indeed took the picture. No ringers!
- The contest is all in good fun: The Club cannot be responsible for delays in delivering Alive!, or for delays in the transmission of responses.