LACERS BOARD UPDATE
By Michael R. Wilkinson, LACERS Commissioner
The LACERS Board has increased the dental maximum yearly coverage to $2,500 (from $2,000) for in-network services. Out-of-network maximums will increase from $1,500 to $1,750 per year. The increase was one of several improvements that were part of the health, dental and vision plan renewals that will take effect on Jan. 1.
In addition, LACERS has replaced the current Anthem Medicare Supplement Plan with the Anthem Medicare Advantage Passive PPO, which will have more services and support programs than the current plan.
The Anthem plan will be available to Medicare members who have both Medicare Parts A and B. This plan should be more convenient for members since it will not require the use of two ID cards, Medicare and Anthem, just Anthem. The new plan may be used at medical providers that are out of Anthem’s network as well as in-network.
The total cost for the renewal of all the health, dental and vision plans is a reduction of $2 million, or 1.3 percent, despite the addition of new benefits.
The new benefits for 2021 include:
- A meal delivery benefit for the Kaiser Senior Medicare Advantage plan
- Adding an emergency response system and personal care benefit to United Healthcare Medicare Advantage Plan
- Changing the Anthem Blue View vision plan to a self-funding plan to save premium dollars while maintaining full benefits.
The Anthem Medicare Advantage passive PPO will provide more senior support services, including:
- 12 non-emergency trips to medical appointments per year
- A personal emergency response system
- A health and fitness tracker, and
- 12 visits for extended footcare.
LACERS will be communicating the details of the improvements in the plans in the coming months.